Saturday, May 30, 2009

Well, it finally happened

Our son Jack absolutely loved his crib and never had the desire to crawl out of it, we thought wow we are super lucky that it has lasted this long, well it happened yesterday, and he is not in a crib anymore.

So Friday morning (keep in mind Jason is at work, so it is just me and Jack),  he made a few noises on the monitor, then it stopped, so I thought he went back to sleep.  Well I had gone back to sleep and a few minutes later  I am unpleasantly woken up by my 2 and a half year old blowing a whistle really loudly in my ear to wake me up.  So, apparently (keep in mind I had the monitor on), he silently climbed out of his crib, opened his door, went to his toys (in front of the tv), went through them, found his whistle, opened my door, climbed up in the bed, and really quietly got next to my ear and blew really hard on his whistle.  So needless to say we turned the crib into a day bed ( it is a 3 in 1 crib, day bed, toddler bed).

The afternoon it was near impossible to get him down for a nap, Jason finally got him down.

Then Friday night Jason plays games with his friends, so it was just Jack and I .  Lets just say I started trying to put him down around 8:30 (which is kind of late for him, but I let him stay up a little later on the weekend), he finally went down at 9:45 pm.  Well I read to him, I sang to him, I even layed on his bed with him and nothing worked.  I went and got a child safety gate and put it in his doorway, then closed the door, I thought he was down so I went into the kitchen to start folding the laundry on the table.  Then here comes my quiet stealthy son crawling towards me, peering from around the corner, spying on me to see what I was doing.  That means my sneaky child knew that he was doing something he wasn't supposed to, because he quietly opened his door, climbed over the gate, then shut his door (to make me think that he was still in there), then was sneaking around the corner to see what I was doing.  Ugh! I finally had to threaten to spank him to get him to go down.  I said I am going to count to 10 and if you are not in your bed by the time I get to 10 you are getting a spanking.  I very rarely spank my child, I have only had to do it twice.  Well when I got to 9 and a half ,he ran into his room, shut the door and got in his bed and stayed there.  That stubborn boy, waited till 9 and a half!

So, what time did he wake up this morning you ask, well at 15 minutes till 5:00 am, he cries, so I get up and he is meeting me at my door and I say it is still night night time, it is not time to get up yet, so I took him to the door and showed him how dark it was outside cause he didn't believe me.  Then I did the unspeakable.  I have always prided myself in the fact that I have never let Jack sleep in bed with us, cause they say if you start that, it is a hard habit to break.  Well at 5:00am, I did the only thing a completely exhausted bleary eyed Mom would do, yep I took him to our room and tucked him in bed between us.  I didn't know if it would work or not.  Sure enough he slept for 2 more hours.  I hope this doesn't last too long and he gets the hang of sleeping in his day bed soon, but until then coffee is my best friend.

Hey at least he picked the weekend to start this, right.

No comments: