Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's official, test confirmed

I haven't gotten around to posting this yet,  but it is official, I do have celiac disease. I had to meet with a Gastroenterologist to discuss tests I have to go through to see how bad the damage from the celiac disease to my small intestine is.  The Dr pretty much put me down by saying, "Wow, people with celiac disease are usually skinny but you were 80 pounds heavier, wow"  Gee um thanks, I guess I don't follow the typical stereotype of a celiac.  That being said, I already kind of knew I had it because of all my other symptoms and my general Dr was pretty sure that I did.  So, I have been on a gluten free diet now for 2 and a half weeks, I have tried new recipes and checked out books from the library on it and done my research about what items have gluten in them.  It hasn't been too bad. I am just glad I can still have chocolate and peanut butter.  The problem with this gluten free stuff is there isn't anything quick and easy, you have to make everything from scratch or pay the high prices at the grocery store for the gluten free pizza and burritos.  I will definitely be learning  a lot in the next few months, I feel like I have to learn how to cook all over again, cause everything I knew before is completely different when cooking gluten free.

2 comments:

This N That said...

Wow. What a tough adjustment. I hope the damage isn't too bad! What's up with that doc saying that? Sheesh. Tact, people. Hugs!

This N That said...

Wow. What a tough adjustment. I hope the damage isn't too bad! What's up with that doc saying that? Sheesh. Tact, people. Hugs!