Friday, August 8, 2014

First full week of homeschool

We have survived the first full week of homeschool with only one extremely stubborn hour. I teach and review for one hour while I'm getting ready for work every morning,  then our son goes to Grandma's for an hour for breakfast and tv. Sometimes Grandma will work on spelling words with him.  My husband picks Jack up from Grandma's usually around 8:30am. Then he will teach for 5 or 6 hours including a lunch break and a recess break. They are usually finished before 2:00 which is an hour and 15 minutes before public schools.  Then when I come home from work ,Jack reads a book out loud in the kitchen while I'm preparing dinner or on the way to the baseball game. That's it ,our whole day and no homework.  We do a lot in the time we have and we vary the subjects so it is not boring and if he doesn't want to sit still then he stands up while we discuss subjects.  This is our first year of homeschooling and to make the transition easier , I worked with him on different subjects every day during the summer for anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours per day. I thought this was a crazy idea that my husband came up with since we both work , but since I work 32 hours per week and my husband works 25 hours per week ,it is totally doable. 
The best thing I have found about homeschooling is that you can do it anywhere.  My Mom recently had surgery and she lives an hour away , so Jack and I are here learning , and helping her.  Fortunately a 7 yr old is old enough to work independently for a while. This has allowed me to cook ,clean ,make hummingbird food and do laundry. I know that not every week will go as smoothly as the first week , but I support my husband and his decision and am prepared for the challenge.

No comments: